Stay Informed 

Make BBPD your Home page
Email this page to a Friend
Join the BBPD
Local Sex Offenders Links
Boynton Beach Police Department - Protecting Our Community
             Accredited by the CFA  Accredited by the CFA

Boynton Beach Police Department - General QuestionsGeneral Questions


The officers I dealt with really went "above and beyond." How do I thank them?

Our department always takes pride in the good job that our officers do. We like to hear when you feel that an officer or officers went above and beyond. The best person to let know about this, is the Chief of Police G. Matthew Immler. You can e-mail him by clicking here or you can send a letter to the following location:

G. Matthew Immler; Chief of Police
c/o The Boynton Beach Police Department
100 E. Boynton Beach Blvd.
Boynton Beach, Florida 33435


I am displeased with an experience with your organization, and I would like to complain. How do I go about this?

We at the Boynton Beach Police Department take great pride in the performance of our duties and the manner in which we serve our community. Prior to employment, our personnel are thoroughly evaluated for their judgment and interpersonal skills. Each employee's background is carefully scrutinized to ensure that there are no patterns of irresponsible, unethical, or dishonest behavior. Less than 10% of applicants are selected for employment as a result of this high standard.

On occasion; however, a member of our organization may represent themselves in a manner inconsistent with the spirit of our mission. When this occurs, the department takes these matters seriously. All complaints about the behavior of departmental personnel must be placed in writing by a named complainant. There is a standardized complaint form which must be filled out and submitted to a supervisor within the department (Rank of Sergeant or above).

The police department is located at:

100 E. Boynton Beach Blvd.
Boynton Beach, Florida 33435


When can I report someone missing?

Contrary to popular belief, there is no 24-hour rule to report someone missing. If you know about a child who is lost, contact us for assistance immediately. If you feel as though there is foul play, let us know that as well. While waiting for us to arrive, immediately check the areas that pose the greatest hazard to the child (i.e.: pool, lake, street...etc.) Try to remain calm and focused on your objective. We will be there to assist you with as many resources as possible with the greatest priority.

If an adult is missing, there is different protocol. It is not illegal for an adult to be missing in and of itself. There must be some outside circumstance for us to aid in the investigation. For instance, if there is any indication of foul play, we will take the case. If the adult is believed to be endangered (i.e.: suicidal, on medication and without access to it, mentally incapacitated to some degree) then we will assist in locating the person and they will meet the criterion to be entered into the state and national computer systems as missing/endangered.


What can I do to help fight crime in my community?

There are many things that you can do to help fight crime in our community. The first thing is to call us when you see something unusual. With as many people as we have in the city at any particular time, there are a lot of eyes seeing a lot of activity. Some of this activity is suspicious in nature, if not criminal. If you don't call, we stand a significantly reduced chance of catching the person(s) responsible for committing the crime. You could also contact us about developing a community watch program. If you would like to contact the officers in charge of developing this program, click here.


What should I do when I hear an alarm going off?

Give us a call. (561.742.6035) While a majority of alarms are false, we can never assume that an alarm is false. Nor, should you.


Can I call 911 from a payphone?

If the phone is functioning properly, yes and without a fee.


I think that someone is being abused at my neighbor's house. Should I get involved?

There is no reason for you not to get involved. You can remain anonymous if you are concerned about "going on record." Imagine for a minute that one morning you wake up and see crime scene tape across the front door of your neighbor's house... you suspected a problem, but didn't want to get involved... How would that make you feel? Domestic Violence and Child Abuse crimes generally increase in intensity, and all too often these cases progress into someone getting killed. Make the call: someone's life might be depending on it.


What is the difference between an assault and a battery?

An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to another person, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

Compared to: A person commits the crime of "battery" if they actually and intentionally touch or strike another person against their will; or if they intentionally cause bodily harm to another.

So to summarize, no physical contact occurs with an assault, but with a battery it does.


What is the difference between a robbery and a burglary?

"Robbery" means the taking of money or other property which may be the subject of larceny from the person or custody of another, with intent to either permanently or temporarily deprive the person or the owner of the money or other property, when in the course of the taking, there is the use of force, violence, assault, or putting in fear.

Compared to: Essentially, "Burglary" means entering or remaining in a dwelling, a structure, or a conveyance with the intent to commit an offense therein, unless the premises are at the time open to the public or the defendant is licensed or invited to enter or remain.

To summarize, "Robbery" is a crime against a person. You rob a person of their property by putting them in fear or using force against them. Burglary, on the other hand, is a property crime. You burglarize a car, house or barn. You can not put a car in fear or use force against it to obtain property, therefore, you cannot "rob" a car.


The police took property from me. Where and how do I retrieve it?

You should have a receipt for the property. These cases vary with the unique circumstances surrounding each incident. If you call 561.742.6100 and ask to speak to the property custodian, they may have information to assist you.


Is it legal for me to carry pepper spray?

In most cases, yes. The kind that you buy off the counter from your local drug store is legal. The key chain type is a dispenser that is convenient and practical. You should take a course in the effective administration of O.C. prior to carrying it. Usually, the O.C. contains dye that is designed for a civilian to carry. Check the bottle and make sure that it does not warn: For Law Enforcement Use Only. If it does, do not carry the product. Florida Law does allow you to openly carry, for self defense purposes, a chemical control agent such as pepper spray. There are limitations however, which can be located in Florida State Statutes Chapter 790. You should read and understand the restrictions and responsibilities prior to carrying any weapon.


Can I shoot someone who breaks into my house?

Florida State Statute 776.031 Use of force in defense of others. -- A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Translation: you can not use deadly force to protect property. You can only use it to protect someone from the imminent threat of a forcible felony (i.e.: murder, kidnapping...etc.) The law says that a citizen has a duty to retreat. Your best course of action, if you are not in a position to protect vulnerable members of your family who are in imminent danger of a forcible felony, is to get out of the house and call police.

 Prior to acting on this information, ensure that you are up to date in the current law.


How do I get a copy of a police report?

Our records department is open 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. There is a nominal fee for reports provided from public records requests. If you wish to request the report by mail, send written request, with $2.00 per report, together with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. You can send a personal check or cash. Please include a phone number where you can be reached during business hours in case there is a question, problem or need for additional information. The requests are normally processed within 7-10 business days from receipt.


What should I do if I find a gun?

Allow circumstances in your environment to dictate your actions here. It would be beneficial to a criminal investigation if the weapon was left undisturbed. Public safety is our number one concern in this situation. Under no circumstances should you, as an adult, leave a weapon unattended; doing so may subject you to criminal liability. If at all possible, maintain close visual contact with the firearm and summon our assistance.


What do I do if I've received a bad check?

File a criminal complaint taking the following steps:

  1. For checks marked "N.S.F." or "Insufficient Funds" you must first send the "Notice of Dishonored Check"(form may be picked up at our office) to the person who signed the check at the address which appears on the check and then wait 7 days from the date received before filing your complaint with our office. If the check writer does not accept the notice, bring it (unopened) with you when you file your complaint.

  2. For checks stamped "Account Closed," you do not have to send the letter or wait the 7 days. Go to Step 4.

  3. For checks returned for any other reason, contact our office at 561.742.6100

  4. Fill in the Criminal Complaint for Worthless Check completely. Have the person who took the check from the writer fill in and sign the second page of the complaint form. This signature must be notarized.

  5. Bring with you the original checks, completed forms, 7 days notice (if applicable) and any other papers that will help explain or document your case.